The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) has announced the Norman E. Borlaug International Agricultural Science and Technology Fellowship Program (Borlaug Fellowship Program) for 2015.
Indonesia is one of eligible countries to participate in the program. For 2015 the targeted research areas for Indonesia are as follows:
1. Animal Health – Feed and feed products for improved poultry, aquaculture, livestock, and small ruminant productivity
2. Biotechnology – Developing pest resistance, nitrogen efficiency, delayed ripening, and enhanced nutritional properties in sugar cane, rice, tomato, and papaya
3. Genetics and Breeding – Sanitary/phytosanitary issues related to cattle genetics
In addition, USDA is also accepting the applications for Global Research Alliance Borlaug Fellowship with targeted research areas are as follows:
1. Developing Tools for Greenhouse Gas and Carbon Sequestration Assessments
· Develop easily used methods for measuring or estimating greenhouse gas emissions in agricultural settings
· Develop easily used methods for measuring or estimating carbon sequestration in agricultural soils
· Develop and field test user-friendly software for quantifying and reporting emissions under the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change
2. Reducing Greenhouse Gas Emissions Intensity in Crop Production Systems
· Identify agricultural management strategies leading to reduced net greenhouse gas emissions per unit of commodity produced in agronomic (including rice), horticultural, or agro-forestry crop systems
· Develop models for application of experimental data in decision support tools for different crop or agro-forestry systems in different countries
3. Reducing Greenhouse Gas Emissions Intensity in Livestock Production Systems
· Identify agricultural management strategies leading to reduced net greenhouse gas emissions per unit of commodity produced in grazing or confined animal production systems
· Develop models for application of experimental data in decision support tools for livestock production systems in different countries
4. Developing Databases and Strategies for Synthesis, Integration and Decision Support to Manage Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Carbon Sequestration in Agricultural Systems
· Develop databases assembled from different research teams working on identifying methods to reduce agricultural greenhouse gas emissions and increase carbon sequestration
· Develop process models as a foundation for projecting emissions and sequestration in different agricultural systems and for decision support tools
Please find attached, more info on applicant eligibility, application requirements, and on-line application. The info is also available at our website: www.usdaindonesia.org .
The application deadline is October 31, 2014.